Sunday 2 October 2016

Fascinated by resilience

I've been waiting to write this post ever since I saw the brilliant green twigs, brimming with life and vigour, against all odds and neglect.

The fascination begins with the word itself and how I relate myself to it. It describes me best. No bragging this one. Simply - "Knowing oneself".

This plant - Omam (that's how my parents call it) or Karpooravalli (as others call it) is the only one I had in my apartment. It keeps off bugs and pests. It helps my sinus headaches.

So much for my scientific knowledge. Let's come to its resilient story. A year ago, I placed it along with my neighbor's plants so that it would get a few drops of water. And i requested them to. However, it was not to be! Later, I saw that it was dried up and looked sorely neglected. They never watered it. Why? Because it was mine. (The same neighbors flagrantly usurped my more flamboyant asparagus!)

The couple of days I was at home, I dutifully watered it. When I left, I forgot to put it alongside with my neighbors'. It was too late before I realised my act of omission.

When I came back, I was in for a lush, green surprise! It survived well; in fact, beat the game of neglect! Resilience, at its best! Fascinated? It is mine! ;) :P

No comments:

Post a Comment