Friday 16 April 2021

The little things reveal character


I write more as I reflect more, when I pause or call it, forced to pause.

I love sweets and anything sweet! I love baking n the smell of baking. My brother was my constant source of inspiration. He loved anything that his Akka made n he was always ready to assist. Those were the days before social media happened - when we baked chocochip cookies mostly as he loved them..and he would gobble up everything even before the lingering aroma disappeared. The purely innocent days when no one cared to click pics..all that we cared for was licking off the batter from the spatulas n fingers! 

So, I would indulge him with all that I wanted to eat but couldn't! Later, he had to stop eating sweets too n then, I stopped buying anything sweet. It was hard. After a few years, I resumed..for friends, kids and colleagues. I love sharing food and gratified by the "vicarious joy" when others enjoy the sweet stuff. Weird but I love it!

#TheOtherDay

I saw some temptingly beautiful cupcakes one day and ordered for a friend. I ordered considering the family's headcount. He wanted each of them to be of a different type. Seemed reasonable to me. They were luscious n anyone would fall for them! But there were many different ones. So, he ordered all of them! Everyone was happy. 

This incident never bothered me at all until the same person complained that I have something personal against him. Then, I saw through the greed. I was reminded of a similar incident that happened a year ago. I had gifted someone very thoughtful for the wedding n he complained I treated him with disrespect (when I had not even interacted due to the covid menace). It did create a rift between me and the friend to whom he complained. I did make up with the friend but have not grown big enough to forgive the sheep in wolf's clothes. 

The commonality in both: "None of them acknowledged that they liked ( or disliked) the gifts nor that I shared a close personal relationship with them. All that they chose to was be greedy and hypocrites when they chose to say unfair things".

The little things reveal the character. Period.



No comments:

Post a Comment